Word puked/Rants/Rambles

Close to 2am now and I think I'm tired, bc each time I'm unknowingly tired, I've so much in my mind I needed to rant them so badly. I might regret creating this post but, whatever.

So today's rambles is about work.

I've been working as a cashier these past few shifts at my current job, and I swear I've always had a fair share of unpleasant experiences with money, which made me really scared of being a cashier for any part-time jobs I'm holding.

At Famous Amos, I've shortchanged customers twice in that entire working history of mine. Each time was about over $20+ and I had to carry this responsibility myself bc who else but me? Once at Wisma outlet, and the other at Marina Square. The one at Marina Square pissed me off the most. I was in the shop alone as my Pinoy (I've all respect for Filipinos except this) supervisor was off for lunch break. I told her I shortchanged a customer about $20 and she did nothing but laughed at me. Seriously? Bear in mind that $20 was alot to me, considering the fact that I earned a pathetic $5/hr and per work shift, it wasn't alot of working hours (So glad I'm out of this low-paid job but I honestly loved my colleagues, so much that we're all as close as before!)

At Teadot Cafe (closed down), I remember just starting to do cashiering. I wasn't so familiar with the counting and I hardly have any guidance from my colleagues bc they're all too busy handling their own things and they're super afraid of death, literally. Their mindset is: 'oh, it's your thing, I don't know so you ownself handle ah.' Fucked up mindset. So there was this once I might've made a mistake in counting the change for the customer, or maybe another colleague did. There was a shortage of about $20++ or so. Since it's quite a huge sum of money (as shortage) to them, my Malaysian supervisor had to recount for me. She actually got frustrated at me (when I've no idea what she was instructing me to do) just because SHE NEEDED HER LAST TRAIN BACK HOME. Seriously?! Other colleagues of mine needed to go home too. Don't they need their last train? They didn't have to help me count the money, which means they stayed back for nothing. Missing their last train was way much more crucial than you, lady. It was after this incident I did not like her anymore. Impressions of her have changed. Then before she left, I still had to write a short message to her. Like whaaat.

Side-track a little, let me just tell you how nice those colleagues were. I remember going back to the cafe on my 18th birthday and I even bought a slice of cake to eat. No one, seriously N O N E, wished my happy birthday, or even realised that day was my birthday. They still have the guts to ask me to chip in money for other colleague's birthday. Yeah sure, I'm one of the crews so I had to chip in either ways. How fair to me that was. They were pretty bias too.. If you're not from their batch, you wouldn't be treated as nice as they treated each other. They would be in cahoots and get off days together, just so they could go all out and enjoy, even if it means to lie to you and said they've got school or what not and that's why they needed to swap shifts/take off days. Wow!

The only time they were 'nice', was when I went through break-up and I cried during work at the counter. They even talked to me about it, 'show concern' by asking me how things were. But I strongly believed they were just being kaypo and wants to gossip. Why would I say that? While I was talking to one of the colleagues, I turned behind me and saw another colleague (that was behind me) making some eye contact and some facial expressions to the colleague I was talking to. She immediately stopped and shook her head saying 'oh nothing' when I caught her. Soooo much of concern showed to me bc I broke up with my former bf!

This, is how much I hated working at Teadot Cafe. There were so much more things I needed to complain about the colleagues there (like how they always badmouth the boss and also our own colleagues, and hated everything about work like ugh OMG what's your problem?!), but I shan't drift off too far away from the cashier topic.

Now at my current workplace, I just got chided slightly for making a small mistake as a cashier. Sure, my boss taught me once or twice (twice as she claimed to be) on how to close the cashier for night shift.. But I've been doing too many of noon shifts for cashier that I've mixed the methods up. The mistake resulted in having to do double or even triple work, and I didn't even have any intentions to create extra work for anyone. But this lady boss said to me "you're NOT supposed to make me do extra work, but now I need to do extra work for you." Let me just tell you how much I hated being said in an unjustified manner. I honestly felt so accused, and that statement was totally ridiculous.. However, good thing that my lady boss still talked to me nicely afterwards that in future if I'm not sure of how to close counter etc., I just need to let her know.

I've always believed that there's a way to solve things nicely, and any mistakes made are inevitable for newcomers. Bosses (or SUPERVISORS) should really know how to guide their workers in order to ensure that they do not commit the same mistakes again. What's wrong with pinpointing problems out in a proper manner? We're all here to learn new things and also earn money at the same time, not to get scolded (or laughed at) for mistakes we didn't mean to commit.