How to pass driving in less than 3 months

Before I started on the driving journey, I only have one goal in mind - to get my license in the shortest amount of time possible. Here's how I completed my driving within 3 months (or actually, less):
02/09/16
 Enrolment date

06/09/16
 First Theory Lesson

10/09/16
 Last Theory Lesson

11/09/16
 First attempt on BTE
 Fail
17/09/16
 Second attempt on BTE
 Pass
27/09/16
 First attempt on BTT
 Pass
01/10/16
 First attempt on FTE
 Fail
04/10/16
 Second attempt on FTE
 Pass
14/10/16
 First attempt on FTT
 Pass
15/12/16
 First Practical Lesson

11/01/17
 Last Practical Lesson

04/02/17
 First Revision Lesson

07/02/17
 Last Revision Lesson

08/02/17
 TP Test
 Pass

Cost Break-down:

Amount
PDL
$25.00
Actual license
$50.00
TP Test
$242.72
Theory tests (BTT + FTT)
$13.00
Theory lessons (BTL*, BTE, FTL*, FTE)
$132.68*
Practical lessons
$1,900.32
Total cost
$2,363.72
*Registration fees is $96.30, which has included 4 theory lessons. Hence, the remaining amount of $36.38 was spent on evaluations and theory practice sessions.

For school learners, you're expected to:
- Attend 4 theory lessons: BTL (Basic Theory Lessons) 1.01 & 1.02, FTL (Final Theory Lessons) 1.01 & 1.02
- Pass BTE (Basic Theory Evaluation) & FTE (Final Theory Evaluation) before you take BTT (Basic Theory Test) & FTT (Final Theory Test)
- Pass BTT before starting practical lessons
- Book maximum of only 3 practical sessions weekly

Theory is seriously a waste of time and money, but you HAVE to do it, and that's why I put theory before practical.

Due to limited slots, I could only book my first practical lesson on 15th Dec, 2 months after my FTT. There were some earlier dates available but it just wasn't the ideal timing for me, hence I started officially on 15th Dec. Some might say, if you can, book 25 lessons in one shot to avoid disappointment but I don't see the need. I started off with booking 3 lessons on a weekly basis just so it could fit well into my schedule. Such planning means I will take 3 full months to complete just the practical lessons itself, and I don't get any weekend slots! Not forgetting to mention that I only have weekday nights available due to work, this totally dragged my completion time. 
*NOTE: BBDC doesn't allow learners to book consecutive lessons just to ensure learners have enough rest in between lessons. 

Dec & Jan were seriously tight - Christmas, New Year, Chinese Year; these holidays simply meant lesser slots available. I was quite worried I couldn't complete before Valentines' Day because I really wanted to drive my boyfriend out by then. 

Tip 1: Can't get more than 3 sessions in a week? Keep refreshing the booking page after each lesson you've attended.
On my 3rd or 4th practical lesson, one instructor taught me a "booking hack". Everyday, new slots are released, or given up by learners who failed to attend lessons at the very last minute. Here's an example:
Ever since I knew of the hack, I attended practical lessons EVERY SINGLE DAY, except PHs and some weekends. That's how I completed my practical lessons within 1 month (as seen from my timeline)!

Tip 2: If there's no suitable test slot, just wait, and check in everyday, every few minutes, few hours. 
As you refresh once in awhile, there'll always be slots. Skip the first few sessions, and book from Session 4 onward. I got Session 7 - 145PM warm up, 250PM test time. (Best thing that happened to me? Totally no traffic when I do lane change on road!)
On my last practical lesson, I actually have the most ideal TP date available on 27th Jan (exactly 2 weeks later - which means it is possible to complete by then!). However, my account didn't have enough money, and online transaction would take 1-2 days to get my account topped up. By then, the slot would've been taken up. I took the risk to miss it, and checked in everyday instead.
Soon enough, I confirmed my TP Test on 8th Feb. Due to the 3-week gap, I had to take up 2 revision lessons on 4th (noon lesson) and 7th Feb (night lesson) to perfect my skills before my test day. 
On my first revision lesson, it was pure shit. Mistakes that didn't happen at all during my lessons, actually happened; I knocked down the pole at the Ramp station, I mounted kerb at the S Course, I swung out wide at the cross junction outside BBDC when I made a Right-Turn. On my last revision, everything was seriously perfect. My parking for both parallel and vertical were straight, I completed all other courses very well too. That's when I felt truly ready for the test. 

Tip 3: Arrive early for your warm-up, you've nothing to lose.
On the actual day, I reported at BBDC at 130PM for my warm-up - 15mins earlier than the stated timing - and I get to start early! By 210PM, I ended my warm up, and got myself prepared for my test which started at 245PM. By 310PM, my TP Test eneded and I got my results immediately in the car - because my tester didn't want to fail me.

The tester's comments for me were:
1. To check back whenever I reverse
2. To slow down when approaching traffic light
3. Circuit was done perfectly 
Nailed it.

Honestly I admit I was super lucky. My tester was very nice to me, despite the fact that we didn't talk in car. He actually guided me and calmed me down when I missed the first stop in the circuit by telling me "it's okay, just go to the next one and look carefully". I didn't know what test route I was going, maybe he told me but I was so nervous I didn't hear it, but when I was on road, I realised he brought me to the route same as my warm-up (prolly Route 6 or 8). On first attempt, I passed with only 10 demerit points.

I've googled so much on how to pass driving at first attempt, but here's what I've gathered from my own experience:
1. Always have the habit to do safety-checks, tester will less likely fail you. So, check your blind spots (left and right) and when reversing (check back)!
2. Smile and greet your tester when he calls out for you in the Testee's Waiting Room. I heard this angry tester greeting his testee for the 2nd time bc the testee didn't acknowledge his greeting. #Nasty
3. Remain calm as much as you can, because it's impossible to not be nervous. I got nervous before the test, but once I'm in the car, I became calm. That's just how I usually am.
4. Perfect your skills for circuit. It's just like an exam question's give-away mark. Once you're done w circuit, you've pretty much secured half of your license. Just be safe as you might get sabo-ed by all other learners in the circuit.
5. Lane-change is crucial when it comes to driving on the road.
Other things are also important (e.g. slow down when approaching traffic lights and zebra-crossing), but these are the 5 points I really want to highlight it out bc it will make or break your test!

With all these said, I hope it prepares you well for your driving journey. 
Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the details provided.
    As an aspiring candidate, looking for an effective approach (as it's not easy to find). Your post provided many details, which am sure going to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In order to obtain a driving license in the United Kingdom, you must first pass the driving license theory test. This blog will provide you with all the information you need to know in order to pass the test.

    ReplyDelete