TOP 5 TIPS to set up a flea market booth



In my previous post on TNSUM, I shared my thoughts on my experience at the flea but I thought I'd go in-depth with the tips I'm about to share with you!

SALES SIGNS
Putting up clear signs is particularly important.
Examples: 3 FOR $5, NO TRYING, BRAND NEW
Image result for price signs for flea market booth clothes
Photo credit: Duke's Bazaar

MY EXPERIENCE: 3 Filipinos came over to my booth with the bimbo mode on. They started messing up my table, and one of them even tried on a pair of skorts without asking for my permission. After zipping it up and feeling all sexy in my damn skorts, she had a hard time taking it off as she finally realised it was obviously too tight for her (but she thought it fits just right). In the end my boyfriend had to help her unzip it by force and the skorts was a goner. Even if I gave it away for free, no one will want it anymore! It could've been worth $4, or even $2! Thank, pi***.

If you don't want to get yours items spoiled, this might be the best method to ward off these nasty btiches. 
Of course, there were some items (tops, stretchy dresses, shoes) that I allowed my customers to try. You just have to be very careful and depend on your luck!

NEAT TABLE AND RACKS

While it feels very exciting to dig through a pile of clothing that's priced at $5 or less, customers somehow don't find it appealing to the eyes. It looks messy, and they don't want to go through the trouble of searching through the mess. Instead, fold your clothes and lay them nicely across the table. Show the details of the clothings (e.g. the logo or the pocket at the top left corner, the graphic design on the front or back). The only time customers want to look through lots of clothes is when you hang all of them onto the racks. To make things better, arrange your clothes according to the colors or the length. Just imagine how you're like when shopping in a mall for clothes.

WHAT YOU WEAR, MATTERS.
Let's be honest - people judge. What you wear when selling, tells people about the clothes you sell. I picked this tip up from one of the sellers at our area. They were so well dressed, looking all hipster, and their clothes were just like what they're wearing. Think camisoles, bohemian vibes. When customers see the sellers looking good, they'll come to you, expecting you sell pretty clothes too!

SPREAD THE WORD
Make use of social media, spread the word. Go to Carousell and let people know that you're setting up a booth and that they can see your clothes in real life instead of just on the app. You might get more sales than on Carousell! 
If you want to get your friends to come support, post it on Instastory and Snapchat. Friends who're nearby might just come and take a look with their friends!

CHECK THE CALENDAR
My booth was held on the day of Deepavali, and just so happen there were lots of Halloween events going on around town. I thought PH would mean more crowd and potential sales, but all the youngsters were busy attending Halloween Horror Night and other activities, so it was definitely not a good day to hold the flea! Always check your calendar and make sure it's on a weekend free from activities/events that your targeted group of customers may attend!

Those were my top 5 tips to setting up a flea market booth. Other things like looking friendly and all smiley helps too! Also, you'll have to depend on your luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment